Hi everyone, its Kate from Cider Says; I’m filling in for Eric this week (and next). Here’s a recap of the best cider news worth sharing:
1) An article on Cider’s Core Curriculum describes the work to develop a meaningful and consistent cider vocabulary, which is one of the United States Association of Cider Makers‘ key initiatives announced at CiderCon.
2) Cider Culture continues their series with Part 7 of Women Making Waves in the Cider World, featuring Pat Knittel from Wrangletown Cider Co., Carla Snyder of the Penn State University Extension Hard Cider Program, and Caroline Riplinger from Ramborn Cider Co.
3) Oregon has leveled the playing field for orchard-based cideries to match that for vineyard-based wineries, with a new bill allowing orchard-based cideries to also sell their cider on their land.
4) In UK cider news: Imbide writes about UK cider from Aspall, Pilango, Circle Cider, Sandford Orchards, Aston Manor, Sheppy’s, and Thistly Cross. Bottles and Books will be opening this fall in Bristol, a combination comic book store and cider bottle shop, with the same owner as Orchard Box (a UK cider subscription service). Gabe Cook, The UK’s “Ciderologist”, has embarked on a global cider tour, including the U.S.A.
5) The Cider Link shared a photo essay of the GLINTCAP cider competition and beyond.
6) Cider Chat posted podcast #86 on Cider Pressing History and #87 titled “Cyser or Cyzer? Kombucha & Mead – Oh My!“. The Cider Sessions (associated with cidrbox) published new cider tasting audio files on Kite & String cider (Good Life Organic Farm).
7) Hard Cider Sorbet? Right Bee Cider teamed up with Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream in Chicago to create an alcoholic sorbet.
8) Cidery news: Broad Street Cider & Ale, New Orleans’ first cidery, is opening this weekend. Vander Mill cidery reopened its original Spring Lake MI tasting room after a 6 month closure during which they opened a new Grand Rapids location. Shacksbury now has a tasting room in Vergennes VT. Old Stone Cider in Lewisville PA opened a tasting room in their rebuilt barn. Old Hill Cider is keeping the Colonial cider tradition alive in VA. Western Cider in Missoula MT was featured by CiderCraft. Finnriver Cider in Chimacum WA was featured in a new “Orchard Series” by Cider Scene, and by Typically Jane. Crush Cider Cafe in Hood River OR was featured by Cider Snob Notes. Broski Ciderworks in Pompano Beach FL was featured by Cider Soms. Prairie Cider at Crossmount Cidery in Saskatoon Saskatchewan was featured by yegcider. The Orchard, a cider bar by 3 Daughters Brewing, opened in Tampa Bay Florida.
9) Cider events: Tokyo Cider Week 2017 (Facebook) in Tokyo Japan on July 17-30. Orcas Island Cider & Mead Festival in Orcas Island WA on July 22. Night of 1000 Tepaches (at Reverend Nat’s) in Portland OR on July 22. Sensory Analysis of Fruit Wine and Cider course at WSU in Mount Vernon WA on August 5. St. Cloud Ciderfest in St. Cloud MN on August 12. Gravenstein Apple Fair in Sebastopol CA on August 12-13.
10) Cider reviews: Along Came a Cider posted on Eastman’s Forgotten Ciders’ The Mad Russian. Cider Says reviewed 2 Towns Cot in the Act, Liberty Ciderworks Golden Russet SV, and Windfall Orchard ice cider. Cider Explorer tried OBC Strong, Apple County Cider Dabinett 2015, & A.K. Cider Jadrnička, and reported on where to buy & drink cider in Prague. Cider Society sampled Barrika Basque Sidra and Oliver’s Gold Rush. Hard Cider Reviews posted on Montana Ciderworks North Fork Traditional. I Think About Cider reviewed Minotière Cidre Fermier Bio Doux. The Cider Drinker video reviewed Thatcher’s Stan’s Leaf Twister. The Milled Apple shared notes on Viuda de Angelón Sidra Con Miel and Far From the Tree Cider Maker Series John 001. Real Cider Reviews tried Henry of Harcourt Duck and Bull Cider.
Have a great weekend!