Hi everyone, its Kate from Cider Says; I’m filling in for Eric again this week. Here’s a recap of the best cider news worth sharing:
1) The book Tasting Cider, a Guide to the Distinctive Flavors of North American Hard Cider, by Erin James of CIDERCRAFT magazine, is now available.
2) Crave shares five cider cocktails using cider from Austin Eastciders.
3) Apple news: Cidrbox writes about the Northern Spy apple. Adam’s Apples shares about the Lodi and Gold Rush apples. The BBC reports on a study of newly DNA confirmed Welsh cider apples & perry pears (also, here is another take on the story, with the headline focusing on the source of the funds being the lottery).
4) Cider Chat #88 is in Tasmania, with Patrick Meagher of Simple Cider. Gabe Cook shares about his first few months as a full time Ciderologist in the UK, including appearances, talk radio, cider judging, and more.
5) Darlene Hayes of allintocider (and author of Cider Cocktails – Another Bite of the Apple) shared about cidrbox’s July ciders, from Kite & String (the new label for Good Life Cider at the Finger Lakes Cider House in NY). Cidrbox and Double Cider are two U.S. based cider subscription services featuring a different cidery (or cideries) each month.
6) New cideries: Hard Way Cider, Creekside Estate Winery, Duntroon Cyder House, and Great Canadian Cider have launched in Ontario Canada. Broad Street Cider & Ale, a new cidery in New Orleans LA, was featured in an article interviewing cidermaker Jonathan Moore. Permann’s Cider will be the first cidery in Houston TX. Blue Barn Cidery is planning to open in Greece NY. Sly Clyde Ciderworks is new to Hampton Roads Virginia. Levengoods will be the first cider tasting room in Lancaster PA.
7) New locations for existing cideries: Whitewood Cider is opening a tasting room in Olympia WA. Stormalong Cider is opening a production facility in Leominster MA. Locust Cider is opening its second cidery and tasting room, this time in Ft. Worth TX (the city’s first) instead of Woodinville WA.
8) Other cidery news: Graft Cider in Washington D.C. was featured in an article by the Washington City Paper. Harcourt Cider‘s founder and cidermaker Drew Henry passed away. Virtue Cider released new cider varieties Michigan Cherry and Michigan Honey. Citizen Cider did a feature on their own employees. Golden State Cider is hiring a salesperson in Sacramento CA.
9) Cider events: Ciderwalk Willow Glen in San Jose CA on July 29. South Loop Beer & Cider Fest (including 5 cideries & 2 meaderies) in Chicago IL on July 29 (which Cider Scene previewed here). Tokyo Cider Collection cider tasting in Tokyo Japan on July 30. Spokane Brewer’s Festival (including 7 cideries) in Spokane WA on August 4-5. Jam for the Land at Stowe Cider in Stowe VT on August 12. Ciderstock (hosted by Woodchuck) in Middebury VT on August 19. Sausage & Cider Fest in Covington WA on August 19. Colorado Cider & Beer Circus in Frisco CO on August 25-26. Toronto Cider Festival in Ontario Canada on August 26. Cider Dayze Festival in Armada MI on August 26-27. Story Tavern Cider Festival in Burbank CA on August 27. Tasting Cider book launch party at Seattle Cider in Seattle WA on September 14.
10) Cider reviews: Along Came a Cider tries Bulwark Original. CIDERCRAFT writes about The Gorge White House Cherry. Cider Explorer tastes Hérisson Cidre, Marks & Spencer Guillet Frères, and Aspall Waddlegoose Cyder. Cider Inspirer tries Somersby Apple Cider and Diocletian’s Palace. Cider Says writes about Atlas Pineapple Mango, Locust Honey Pear, and Schilling Road Trip Peach Citra. Cider Sleuth video reviews Moulson Canadian Cider. Cider Snob writes about Tieton Dry Hopped. Cider Society posts about Bembel With Care, Sonoma Cider The Hatchet, and Urban Tree Original. Hard Cider Reviews tries Colorado Cider Company Pato Feo, Old Mine Breakin’ the Laws, Incline The Explorer, and West County Cider Baldwin. Paste reviews Schilling Ascender Ginger. Rocky Mountain Brew Review samples Big B’s Harvest Apple. The Cider Drinker video reviews Beard & Sabre Blackbeard. The Ciderman’s Log posted about Ace Pineapple. The Milled Apple shares tasting notes about Prospect Ciderworks Paradise and Graft Farm Flor.
Have a great weekend!